Call to Action
The Alliance’s Call to Action provides an immediate opportunity for parties across the globe to highlight ocean acidification as an imminent threat to coastal economies and ocean ecosystems.
The Call to Action identifies five goals that- together- OA Alliance members will work to further:
(1) Advance Scientific Understanding: Improve the understanding of OA globally and within the members’ regions, including support for research and OA observations within their region.
(2) Reduce Causes of OA: Implement actions that will prevent or slow OA through reducing atmospheric emissions of CO2, reducing inputs of land-based pollutants, and other measures.
(3) Build Adaptation and Resiliency: Implement actions to assist ocean-dependent communities and industries, and marine ecosystems to adapt to increasing acidity in marine waters.
(4) Expand Public Awareness: Engage policy makers, scientists and the public on the growing threat posed by OA, as well as local actions that may be taken to address OA.
(5) Build Sustained International Support: Secure sustained funding, nationally and regionally, for ongoing, enhanced, and coordinated research and OA observation systems, to continue to inform governments and others about the increasing impacts of OA.
Individual Alliance members are committed to supporting the work of the Alliance broadly, and are committed to taking meaningful actions where they are located by crafting their own unique Ocean Acidification Action Plan. OA Action Plans should focus on advancing the five goals of the Call to Action.