Call to Action
Many jurisdictions around the world are gathering scientific information regarding ocean acidification and its impacts. While more remains to be understood and more investment in scientific inquiry is critical, it is becoming increasingly urgent to take actions to address and reduce the threat.
With so much at stake, the Ocean Alliance’s Call to Action provides an immediate opportunity for interested parties across the globe to highlight ocean acidification as an imminent threat to coastal economies and ocean ecosystems. Working together, the Alliance will work to further five goals:
- Advance scientific understanding of ocean acidification.
- Take meaningful actions to reduce causes of acidification.
- Protect the environment and coastal communities from impacts of a changing ocean.
- Expand public awareness and understanding of acidification.
- Build sustained support for addressing this global problem.
Individual Alliance members would commit to supporting the work of the Alliance broadly, and would commit to taking meaningful actions where they are located by crafting their own jurisdictional Ocean Alliance Action Plan. Ocean Alliance Action Plans should focus on advancing the five goals of the Alliance.
Read full Call to Action endorsed by OA Alliance Members, here.
“The science is very clear that ocean acidification will continue to intensify. Right now, we have a window of opportunity to take actions that will best prepare ourselves for changes ahead.”Francis Chan