Build your OA Action Plan
To facilitate the development of OA Action Plans, the OA Alliance has created this Action Toolkit as a reference aid. The OA Action Toolkit contains both regulatory and non-regulatory actions and is meant to be a source of inspiration, and a listing of suggested actions that members might consider when crafting their own OA Action Plan. Though the content in the Action Toolkit has been collected and adapted from several sources, the Action Toolkit is not a fully comprehensive nor exclusive list. New ideas will certainly emerge as members work to build a locally-relevant OA Action Plan. Indeed, the Action Toolkit will benefit from the sharing of new suggestions by OA Alliance members.
The Action Toolkit outlines examples of actions that pertain to the five goals of the OA Alliance’s Call to Action:
- Advance Scientific Understanding: Improve the understanding of OA globally and within the members’ regions, including support for research and OA observations within their region.
- Reduce Causes of OA: Implement actions that will prevent or slow OA through reducing atmospheric emissions of CO2, reducing inputs of land-based pollutants, and other measures.
- Build Adaptation and Resiliency: Implement actions to assist ocean-dependent communities and industries, and marine ecosystems to adapt to increasing acidity in marine waters.
- Expand Public Awareness: Engage policy makers, scientists and the public on the growing threat posed by OA, as well as local actions that may be taken to address OA.
- Build Sustained International Support: Secure sustained funding, nationally and regionally, for ongoing, enhanced, and coordinated research and OA observation systems, to continue to inform governments and others about the increasing impacts of OA.