Friends of Ocean Action and the World Economic Forum co-hosted the first ever global online conference for ocean action from June 1-5 2020. The Virtual Ocean Dialogues connected communities across the world who are seeking innovation and taking bold action for a healthy, resilient, thriving ocean.
Over 1,300 participants from more than 90 different countries attended the livestreamed sessions. The programme featured 56 sessions: 12 live-streamed high-level dialogues, 39 in-depth sessions curated by partners, 3 networking sessions, and 2 affiliated sessions. There were more than 300 speakers from 54 countries.
The Ocean Acidification “Deep Dive” program occurred on June 4 and was hosted by the International Alliance to Combat Ocean Acidification in collaboration with UN Peace Boat, Plymouth Marine Laboratory, and UK Department for Environment Food & Rural Affairs.
The “Deep Dive” program included panelists from national and state government; industry and seafood growers; as well as a tribal intergovernmental coordinating commission and focused on innovative and inclusive actions that are helping local communities and regions:
- share information and learn about solutions to addressing ocean and coastal acidification
- drive private and public collaborations that are helping to identify priorities
- better assess social, economic and cultural vulnerabilities
- develop predictive forecasting models and local monitoring that can inform adaptation responses
- explore shellfish hatchery techniques; buffering and selecting for tolerance that build resilience
- deploy nature-based solutions and submerged aquatic vegetation as a mitigation and adaptation tool.
Watch the full “Deep Dive” ocean acidification program below.
- Lisa Suatoni, National Resources Defense Council, USA
- Helen Findlay, Plymouth Marine Laboratory, UK and Global Ocean Acidification Observing Network, Executive Council
- UK Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs, Chief Scientific Adviser Professor Gideon Henderson
- Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation, Government of Chile, Minister Couve
- Office of Washington State Governor Jay Inslee, Senior Ocean Advisor, Jennifer Hennessey, USA Pacific Region
- Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission, Habitat Services Director, Fran Wilshusen
- Mook Seafood Farms, Director of Research and Development, Dr. Meredith White, USA Atlantic Region