UN World Ocean Day 2020
Advancing Knowledge into Action
Innovative Solutions to Address Impacts of Ocean Acidification
June 11, 2020
12:00pm- 1:30pm EST
Program will focus on innovative and inclusive actions that are helping local communities and regions:
- develop predictive forecasting models and local monitoring that can inform adaptation responses
- explore shellfish hatchery techniques; buffering and selecting for tolerance that build resilience
- deploy nature-based solutions and submerged aquatic vegetation as a mitigation and adaptation tool
- drive private and public collaborations that are helping to advance knowledge and priorities for action
(1) Welcome and Introductions
- Jessie Turner, OA Alliance, Project Coordinator
(2) Enhancing protection and management of New Zealand coastal ecosystems: Key recommendations from New Zealand’sCoastal Acidification: Rate, Impacts and Management Project (Not featured on recording)
- Cliff Law, Principal Scientist-Marine Biogeochemistry, National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research
(3) Kelp Farming as Strategy for Remediating OA and Improving Shellfish Cultivation
- Nichole Price, Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences
(4) From Knowledge to OA Action: Forecasting future conditions and enhancing partnerships with impacted industry and communities.
- Jacqueline Ramsay, Water Quality Lab Manager, Alutiiq Pride Shellfish Hatchery
(5) Deploying affordable monitoring kits around the world: Building the capacity of scientists, policymakers, and communities to monitor, understand and respond to ocean acidification locally.
- Alexis Valauri-Orton, Ocean Acidification Program Manager, Ocean Foundation
(6) Private and public collaborations: Engaging passenger ferries and other cruise vessels to monitor for changing ocean conditions.
- Wiley Evans, Ocean Acidification Program Manager, Hakai Institute
(7) Closing remarks from UN Peace Boat Ecoship: Reducing greenhouse gas emissions and outlining long-term commitments to ocean and climate action.
- Emilie McGlone, Director of Peace Boat US